The Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Mouka Limited, Raymond Murphy had the Honorary Fellow of the National Institute of Marketing of Nigeria (NIMN) conferred on him by the Institute on August 1, 2019.
This award comes on the heels of excellent marketing techniques, sterling service and leadership qualities that Murphy has been credited with.
Murphy received this honorary award alongside other captains of industries such as Uchechukwu Ogah, President, Masters Energy Group, Ifenyinwa Afe, Managing Director for HP Inc. Central Africa, Lateef Bakare, a member of the Board of First Bank, Nigeria, John Ugbe, Chief Executive Officer of Multi Choice Nigeria, among other notable personalities.
Murphy is reputed to be the brains behind the innovative ideas that have shot Mouka into the leadership position in the Nigerian foam and mattress industry. While it enjoys a huge market share, the foam company is also redefining the sector.
Mouka has been reckoned with for adding comfort to life through the provision of sleep solutions that have given rise to the opening of 10 sleep galleries across Nigeria. The company has also developed an extensive distribution network with more than 1,000 branded sales outlets and over 300 third-party distributors across the country.
The producer of foam, spring mattresses and other bedding materials is a proud owner of three production facilities in the country.
Murphy came on board as the CEO and MD of the indigenous foam manufacturing company in mid-2015 after the closure of a Private Equity transaction which saw 90 percent of the shareholding transferred to a private equity firm, leaving the remaining balance of 10 per cent to the original founding family. The company has since recorded feats only few in the private sector can boast of.
Mouka has been listed twice in the London Stock Exchange Group’s Companies to Inspire Africa reports for 2017 and 2019. To be included in the list, companies must be privately owned and show an excellent rate of growth and potential to power African development.
Mouka was also awarded the Mattress Manufacturing Company of the Year at the 2017 edition of The Guardian Manufacturing Excellence Award. That same year, the mattress manufacturer also earned another recognition by the African Brand Congress as the Mattress Brand of the Year.
In 2019, Mouka emerged the Foam and Mattress Company of the Year at the Nigerian Real Estate and Property Awards.
Noteworthy, is also the fact that Mouka recently partnered with the prestigious Lagos Business School to organize a leadership training programme for its management staff.
Mouka has been able to attain these enviable heights under Murphy’s watch and leadership.
Preceding the NIMN award was Murphy’s recognition by Inside Business Magazine as Business Leader of the Year.
Reacting to the honour done him by the Institute, Murphy said: “In many ways I’m honoured and extremely humbled to receive this recognition tonight from such a prestigious institution… I think it’s not necessarily about improving my profile but what I can give back to the Institute in terms of sharing my experience of 3 decades of brand building not just in Nigeria but in other territories across the world.”
He explained further that, “We have had strong partnerships with advertising agencies, creative agencies, public relations ,media planning and buying agencies and that has significantly increased Mouka’s brand profile over the past 5 years…so it’s about myself and my colleagues and the investment we have made over the past 5 years.”