Lagos: Odobo Estate Residents Cry For Help As Land Grabbers Unleash Terror

Residents of Odobo Estate in the Oke Ira area of Ogba, Lagos State are now living in fear as a result of the terror unleashed on them by land grabbers in the area.

The estate is owned by popular businessman, Nuel Ojei, but one of his sons is allegedly making efforts to take ownership of the large property and to make this happen, he has allegedly contracted some thugs for assistance.

It was gathered that last Wednesday, some hoodlums numbering about 200 stormed the area, destroying people’s properties in the estate.

They were said to be acting on the directive of one Col Anthony Ojei (rtd), who claimed to be the only son of the philanthropist and wants to reclaim the property of his sick father.

ALSO READ  Dora Akunyili Not Dead--Aide

Addressing newsmen few days ago on the matter, spokesman of the estate association, Mr Afee, explained that most of the residents moved into the area in early 2000.

He said residents of the estate, which boasts of 40 flats, were living like one family until 2007 when the agent handling the properties for Chief Nuel Ojei claimed occupiers of the flats have been told to stop paying rent.

The spokesman said no concrete reason for given for this, but it was learnt by them that it was because of the owner’s failing health.

ALSO READ  Pro-Saraki Protesters Storm CCT (PHOTOS)

Afee further explained that in 2012, another agent came up purportedly from the Chief’s office, saying the tenants can start paying their rents again, but in 2015, another agent said payment should be stopped because the owner had already directed in 2007 that no one should pay rent on the property.

According to the estate’s spokesperson, in May 2015, about four trucks filled with mobile policemen from the Lagos Task Force in conjunction with some area boys stormed the estate and directed all residents to vacate the place.

He said a petition was written to then Commissioner of Police, but they were not happy with the way the matter was handled by the police chief.

ALSO READ  Jumia Travel Set To Host Tourism Summit

The spokesman said at about 6:45am of Wednesday, March 21, 2018, over 200 area boys stormed the estate and destroyed houses, beat residents and carted away some valuable items, including cash.

He said the fear of the unknown has already made some tenants to vacate their flats.

As a result, other residents of the estate still occupying their flats have called on Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State to wade into the matter.

They also called on the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to look into the matter and bring those culpable to book.

Share This Post

Post Comment